I. L. Thomas,
Oops looks like you started a new topic from another thread instead of creating
a new message.
However, to answer your question, yes it is reasonable.

1. Tag your people that you want in the new file.
2. Then go to menu or tab: File -> Export -> Export to New Legacy Family File.
3. Choose the name of the new family file.
4. Options window opens for the file -> Tick the option: All Records with an
individual Tag of: choose tag that you used.
5. Check the options that you want for the new file.
6. Set up an Autosource options.
7. Click on the button Start the Export.
When it is done it will offer you the option to open the new file.