I think GenBox, and probably others, do something like this, and I don't think it's a mess, I just *really* *really* wish Legacy would do it too. When you open a master source, there's a tab listing all citation details that are attached to it. Very very useful for review, but especially for editing in one place, because Search and Replace does not always do the trick very well.

This way, you can do "Show All" on the master source to see all the people sourced to, say, Bedford Co Wills, but you can also do a "Show All" on a citation detail to see all persons sourced to a specific will. And then you can edit the will text (in the citation text field) all in one go - Search and Replace stops at the first carriage return, necessitating several Search and Replace operations, or worse, it's impossible to append additional text to all existing instances of a citation. Also, when you get to a record instance, it does not even tell you what person nor event you are changing the detail for. If the detail is just a page number, I get pretty nervous.

I believe (haven't looked at it in a while, got tired of wishing for what we don't have), there is a master source/citation list, which would naturally be very long. I can't see how that would really be a problem if people who dislike it just ignore it. And I think you didn't really have to navigate it, as you could just open the master source, look at the citation detail list, and click from there.

Dennis Kowallek wrote:

I can't believe that space is really much of an issue anymore.

It sounds like the problem you are trying to solve is in the 2nd part of
your statement. Paraphrasing, you want the ability to search Source
Details? I can agree with this request. However, I don't agree with the
solution you propose. I think it would make a real mess.

http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup%40mail.millenniacorp.com/

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Help.asp