> On 22 Feb 2008, at 14:14, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     the current state of discussion/analysis is that a license like
>> ODL would offer sound legal protection only where database law
>> exists  (e.g. in Europe), while for other jurisdictions (e.g. the US)
>> we'd have to rely on the contractual aspect which may be hard because
>> the contract doesn't bind third parties to whom the data might be
>> passed. How hard exactly it is seems to be a bit murky at the moment.
>>
>> In this post, I want to focus solely on Europe, i.e. places where
>> database law exists.
>>
>> As far as I understand, database law is a kind of copyright for data
>> collections, and it means that if you extract a significant amount of
>> data from a database you need permission from the creator of said
>> database.

Richard pointed out the remainder of what I would have said
correctly, which I excerpted below.  I would like to clarify that I
think that the only legal restriction that would most likely hold in
terms of taking data from a database and creating a new database
would be the database right and contract -- copyright is likely not
to be a factor. And I'd like to re-iterate that the standard is not
"significant" but rather "substantial", which tracks the language of
the Database Directive.

On 22 Feb 2008, at 15:23, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> So as long as I extract non-significant amounts, the data would
>> essentially be PD?
>
> You could use it as such, yes.
>
> ODC-Database expressly says that it considers a "Derivative Database"
> to comprise a "_Substantial_ part of the Data" (my emphasis). That's
> whether it's applied via contract, database right or copyright. That
> much is unambiguous.
>
> But you couldn't, of course, recombine it with a large number of other
> insubstantial extracts, because then you have made a Substantial
> extract.
>
> On what's substantial and what isn't, for an evaluation under EU
> database right, see Charlotte Waelde's oft-cited paper
> (http://edina.ac.uk/projects/grade/gradeDigitalRightsIssues.pdf) on
> pp28-32. Especially the top of page 32:
>
> "The Directive provides that a lawful user of a database has the right
> to extract and/or re-utilise an insubstantial part of the contents.
> This is subject to the proviso that any acts by the lawful user must
> not conflict with the normal exploitation of the database or
> unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of the maker of the
> database. Any contractual provision seeking to override this measure
> is null and void."
>
> Which I think is what I said above, and what ODC-Database reflects.
>
> Dr Waelde also notes that under EU database right it's not just a
> matter of percentage, but also of a "qualitative analysis". To me it
> appears clear that a single street name isn't substantial, the whole
> of Cambridge is. We could spend hours discussing this but I suspect it
> comes down to "don't take the piss".
>
> cheers
> Richard

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007