2009/5/5 Lauri Hahne <lauri.ha...@gmail.com>:
> I think the problem here is that our own definition of substantial is
> by no means binding. The definition of substantial in ODbL comes
> pretty straight from EU's database directive and the definition is
> ultimately up to courts to decide.

I'm reluctant to poke my nose in since I'm only recently on this
mailing list and there's lots of history, but its not quite as simple
as that.

If you try to sue someone for infringement of a database right then -
whatever the licence might say - if the court finds they have not
infringed then that is that. So far so good.

But I understood that the ODbL is intended for situations where the
sui generis database right may not apply (or something analogous) and
where it may be possible to impose a duty via contract. If that is the
case, then the contractual liability is something quite separate and
would be determined by construing the contract (i.e. the licence in
this case which I understand has a dual nature if your jurisdiction
believes that licences can be things that are different from contracts
as mine does). In that case there is no harm in putting a definition
in.

Furthermore, if the licence permits copying where the database right
would not (in other words of the courts decide that our definition is
narrower than that of the directive) then that *is* useful because it
means that a user of the data can rely on our definition as giving
permission without worrying about what the precise extent of the case
law (which might shift) might be.

I hope that makes sense.

--
Francis Davey