Frederik Ramm <frede...@...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> SteveC wrote:
> > And we'd like help similarly with building a practical definition of
> > Produced Work. Here's how the license RC1 defines it:
>
> Obviously this goes hand in hand with the definition of a (derivative)
> database; everything you make from our data which is not a produced work
> will be a derivative database and vice versa.
>
> > "Produced Work" –  a work (such as an image, audiovisual material,
> > text, or sounds) resulting from using the whole or a Substantial part of

This goes interestingly hand in hand also with the definition of Substantial.
Whatever is created from Insubstantial amount of data is not (or perhaps it does
not need to be announced as) Produced Work.  It feels natural because if the
Insubstantial amount of data is actually free for any use then it would be odd
to put restrictions for the derivatives.  Thus it would be allowed to to take
less than 100 features or area of less than 1000 inhabitants and make PD, Share
alike or commercial derivatives from that without any restrictions. Is my
interpretation right?

What makes it really interesting is that we are living in service based
environment. It would be trivial to set up a WMS server, open it for the world
and let anybody render OSM maps on-the-fly from any place of the world.  Maps
would be streamed directly to the user and not necessarily even cached on the
server side. Server may have a feature limit so that no more than 100 OSM
features would ever be consumed for rendering the maps. Maps do not exist
physically anywhere before the client makes the request only on the client
computer after the request has been processed. In WFS mode the server could
deliver vector data in a similar way. How would this machine suit the new
license and definitions of Substantial/Insubstantial and Produced Work?

I am mostly wondering, I do not mean that I consider this as such a threat that
it should be prevented somehow.

-Jukka Rahkonen-