Hi,

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> What I'm concerned with is mainly: How big is the risk of someone
> "whitewashing" our data from the contractual part of the ODbL,

I should have explained: Such "whitewashing" would require someone to
breach the contract by removing all licensing information and then
passing on the data to a third party who then cannot become party to the
contract. The important bit, to me, seems that said third party cannot
be accused of any breach then.

I have compared this to "grey imports": Sony sells batch of TV sets to
distributor with a contract saying "only for distribution in Ukraine";
distributor breaches contract and sells in Germany; if I now buy a TV
set Sony has absolutely no legal right to demand that I return the TV or
that I follow whatever contractual obligations they normally impose on
German customers etc.; I am a perfectly legal Sony TV set user even if I
*knew* that the distributor was breaching his contract.

(This is something entirely different from buying stolen goods, because
Germany and probably many other jurisdictions have special rules that
make it impossible to become the rightful owner of something that was
stolen in the first place.)