Ed Avis wrote:
> The licence should not try to impose additional restrictions on
> people beyond their own country's copyright law (and other applicable
> laws such as database right).

In which case OSM becomes public domain.

I'm repeating myself, I'm afraid, but you can take two approaches with data.
You can say "it's all PD". Or you can attempt to arm yourself to the teeth
by deploying whatever tools are available in your jurisdiction: copyright,
database right and contract. There is no middle ground. A weaker approach
(say, a copyright-only licence like CC-BY-SA) won't be applicable in all
countries, therefore in some places our data will be freely copiable.

The settled will [1] of the OSM community is that we want a share-alike
licence, therefore we will use the verbiage that is most likely to
accomplish this in most jurisdictions. As of 2 July 2009, that's ODbL with
the relevant sign-up stuff.

When you say "Going down the road of a click-through EULA, which tries to
impose additional restrictions and take away rights you had before, is not
the right direction for a free data project such as OSM", you're talking
from a "free software" perspective. Software's easy. Software is
demonstrably copyrightable in 99% of jurisdictions.

That isn't the case for factual data. If you don't impose additional
restrictions over and above statute law, then there will be some countries
in which your data is unprotected, and it will leak out from there.
_Personally_ I don't think that's a bad thing - I'm a PD advocate
through-and-through, as all of my released code will testify. Nonetheless if
the OSM community wants a share-alike license, it has to use this sort of
language.

I kind of think it should be compulsory for anyone posting to legal-talk to
demonstrate that they have read, and understood, Rural vs Feist and Mason vs
Montgomery. You really can't apply the precepts of software licensing to
factual data.

cheers
Richard

[1] Not provably the majority, but that's another story.