2009/7/3 Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>:

> My point is that granting powers to relicense the data is basically equivalent
> to copyright assignment (plus certain conditions, as happens when you assign
> copyright to the FSF, they promise to keep to a free licence in the future),
> but
> it is better to call a spade a spade.

Technically (at least in English law), no. Its a sublicence rather
than an assignmentt. They are distinct. Many jurisdictions impose
formality conditions on assignments of copyright that they do not on
licences. In a licensing situation the licensor retains their
ownership of the copyright, contrast the assignment situation.

--
Francis Davey