El Jueves, 7 de Enero de 2010, Erik Johansson escribió:
> Is there someone who know more about the Inspire EU directive for
> Geodata from 2007, and can highlight things that are important for
> Openstreetmap? They are working on the implementation here in Sweden,
> it would be of great help to get any input.

In a nutshell, it says that all countries of the EU should make available to
the other countries *which* sets of geodata do they have, and how to get
them. That's called "publishing the metadata".

Also, it says that the countries must have some form of WMS server to let
other government's agencies to view that data. Alas, those WMS services can
be locked down (password-protected or otherwise) to non-government people.
Data download is mentioned, through WFS.

Now it's when some SDItard pops out and says "Hey, the INSPIRE directive does
encourage to publish stuff so the general public can see it". Well, guess
what. The directive says that data can be locked down if it would interfere
with intellectual property, industrial information property (patents), or
reliance on third-party data (subcontracted surveyors).

Even if there are no such burdens, any agency can publish data and say "no
commercial use, no reuse, no copying, just view it". Gov'ts will have liberty
to publish the data under the conditions they like, or not publish it if they
assert IP rights or third party rights.

I'm actually a member of the spanish SDI working group. The general feeling in
this group is that Spain is quite ahead of the rest of the countries, just
because of the fact that most spanish government agencies do already publish
WMS services in the open, although most of those prevent commercial reuse or
derivative works.

Also, AFAIK, most of the work of the SDI working groups goes into
standarization of data structures. Basically, everyone related to a SDI has
gone through the equivalent of 20 OSM "how-do-we-tag-this-thing" wars. The
technical goal is that vector and raster data of all countries is homogeneous

Bottom line: it's a directive aimed at government agencies, so gov't agency A
of country B can get data from gov't agency C from country D and be able to
(both technically and legally) use it.

The directive does not aim to push any free data policy aimed at making more
geodata available to the public nor to businesses. Policies on data licensing
are most likely to remain the same.

Hope this clears it up,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <i...@sanchezortega.es>

Un ordenador no es un televisor ni un microondas, es una herramienta compleja.