On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Gervase Markham wrote:

>> After all, if X is 99.99%, then there will probably be very little
>> argument - which would be great.
>>
>> Gerv
>
> We would all agree that if 99.9% of active contributors agreed to the
> changeover then the changeover had a mandate.
>
> Now Gerv, what is your lower limit?
> for
> number of contributors overall?
> number of active contributors
> quantity of data?
>
> I do not accept that a decision can be made without the numbers being set
> *first*.

Hi Liz,

It's quite complicated. Let's say I said that I was happy with 89% of
active contributors. Would I also accept 88.9%? 88.8%? What if the 10%
who didn't agree accounted for 50% of the data? Or only 0.2% of the
data? What if only 49% of contributors agree, but they account for 97%
of the data? How about 48% and 94%? What if 95% of contributors agree,
but the 5% who don't had originally added version 1 of 45% of the
roads? Or 92%, 8% and 72%? What if the 5% of people who don't agree
are evenly spread around the world? What if the 5% of people who don't
agree are all in the same country? What if 99% of active contributors
agree but only 5% of inactive contributors? What if 95% of the data is
OK but only 25% of the contributors agree? Or 94% and 32%? What if
it's 98% of the road network and 2% of the turn restrictions? Or 75%
of the road network but 100% of the POIs?

In all these scenarios there are more than one variable involved. If
you want to make an n-dimensional spreadsheet of percentages and
colour some of them green and some not, then go ahead, but it's a
mammoth task. And given such a spreadsheet everyone would choose
slightly different values, so we'll have a lot of spreadsheets too.

After lots of discussions and "What if..." scenarios we've all come to
the realisation that it's much better to find out what actually
happens, and make decisions based on the results. If you keep things
to whole percentage numbers there are at least 100,000,000 possible
outcomes depending on how we want to slice things, but there's only
going to be one scenario that actually happens. Lets work on the
process we have, and take it from there.

Cheers,
Andy