On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:59:52 -0400, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > How?
>
> By acknowledging their existence and using them against themselves.

I don't follow.

> Upgrading from BY-SA 2.0 to BY-SA 2.5 is trivial.
>
> Relicencing derivative works is trivial.
>
> Getting the approval of every OSM user to approve a change of attribution
> isn't. There are major institutional contributions to OSM that might not be
> able to be re-attributed without great effort. And some people (mistakenly)
> regard that attribution as a "right".
>
> So changing attribution is comparably difficult to relicencing.

Changing attribution is comparably difficult to relicensing under the ODbL?
 I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I don't follow.

> Personally I disagree with that hallucination.  A mash-up is a
> derivative
> > work.  In fact, I'd say it's pretty much the quintessential example of
> the
> > derivative work.
>
> I agree with you. But the community standards of OSM don't seem to.

But that just doesn't make any logical sense.  If a mash-up isn't a
derivative work, then the database might as well be PD (or CC-BY).

If produced works aren't protected, then the data isn't protected, because
the data is *contained within* the produced works.

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:03:17 -0400, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> >
> >As I've asked
> > several times now, and never gotten a response, what stops someone from
> > taking a Produced Work released under CC-BY and extracting the data back
> > out
> > of the Produced Work, thereby obtaining the data under CC-BY.
>
> Presumably the same thing that prevents the copyright on a DVD you copy
> off a TV screen from evaporating when you burn it back to DVD. (I mention
> copyright as BY is a copyright licence.)

If that DVD were released under ODbL, and the copy were released (legally)
under CC-BY, you might have a point.

> BY-SA is a more interesting case as the derivative work must also be
> covered by BY-SA.

Indeed.  What's the position of the OSMF and/or the LWG on this one?  Can
CC-BY-SA data be combined with ODbL data to create a produced work?  Or are
proprietary produced works allowed, but non-ODbL copylefted produced works
disallowed?