80n <80n...@...> writes:

> There are many things that meet the almost trivial threshold that legally
constitutes creativity. Road classification, land use, abstraction,
generalization, selectivity, arbitrary tagging, arrangement, smoothness, routes,
desire paths, boundary approximation, building outlines, junction topology,
address schema, layers, etc.  All creative, all copyrightable.

I have been leading a team of digitizers tracing features from aerial images. I
was doing everything I could to minimize the creative or artistic part of their
work. Actually, a quite heavy system of internal and external quality control
was there just to make sure that every worker was producing about the same sort
of bulk data.

There are also other and bigger organizations than OSM doing same kind of, for
my mind non-creative, work. Mapping agencies in the European countries, for
example. I think that we must not claim that this kind of work is creative and
copyrightable. That will be used against us and against all the citizens willing
to use geospatial data produced by our administrations. We should show an
example about free geodata, not the opposite.

-Jukka Rahkonen-