On 10 August 2010 01:29, Michael Collinson <m...@ayeltd.biz> wrote:
> they exert their original copyright and request us to do so?  A common
> mantra is that copyright does not mean much unless exerted. Views?
> Precedents?

This is a slippery slope, and it would give precedent to what ever
comes next with OSM.

I think it was Ed that pointed out the other day, when he signed up
all he agreed to was CC-by-SA and he assumed since the heavy emphasis
put on most issues with regards to copyright is if in doubt don't
import it, would mean OSM(F) of all groups would have more respect for
other people's decisions.

You also have some users that have potentially died and in which case
you need to seek permission from who ever inherits the copyright of
the estate.

You also have to assume that some will object in future, so this may
have an ongoing effect for some time, even if you do decide to just
carte blanche relicense anyone not objecting.

Not to mention that current contributors haven't even been asked, and
so that just increases the likelihood of problems by delaying asking.

As I said, this is a slippery slope, how much of your ethics are you
willing to give up?