On 14 August 2010 10:09, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I might miss the point: but why do some governments put their data
> under cc-by or cc-by-sa licenses if those are not suitable for data
> but only for works?

There may be institutional reasons for it (eg "we always use this licence").

The data might also be subject to copyright either individually or as
a copyrightable database (in places where that is possible, such as
the EU) or some other form of copyright in a collection.

Eg, football fixtures lists are subject to copyright in the UK:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2010/841.html

Because their creation required creative input. The Post Office (in
the UK) might be able to argue copyright in the post code database (or
some part of it) on the same lines.

--
Francis Davey