Why are we changing the licence? Well [1] states among other things that " [CC-BY-SA] is therefore very difficult to interpret", and we have indeed seen this situation occur many times when people have asked what can and can't be done with OSM data, and no definitive answer could be found.

If it was unclear if something was allowed under CC-BY-SA then users of our data were asked to take a cautious approach. And that seems very reasonable stance to take, even though it resulted in a lower than hoped for use of OSM data. So it was decided that since even the OSM community could not categorically say how CC-BY-SA applied to OSM data a licence change was needed.

Move forward a bit and we start to implement the new licence. Since we could not reach consensus on how CC-By-SA applied to "our" data, it seems reasonable to assume that we can not assume how CC-BY-SA data applies to other people data, and therefor to be safe I presume we won't simply be blindly importing CC-BY-SA data into OSM. I presume we will be approaching providers of data that has a CC-BY-SA licence and asking if we can use that data in OSM. So our permission to use the data will stem not from a CC-BY-SA licence, but from the explicit permission given by the copyright holder.

Or am I missing something?

Furthermore if we don't approach CC-BY-SA providers and ask if we can use their data, then we are using it by virtue of the fact it is CC-BY-SA, and surely the CC-BY-SA permissions "flow though into" the OSM data. In which case nothing has been gained from the licence change process as the same permissions which were there before (and were difficult to interpret) still exist.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I cant see anything about it on the implementation plan [2]

David

[1] http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/We_Are_Changing_The_License#Why_are_we_changing_the_license.3F

[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan