Am 31.08.2010 12:56, schrieb Liz:

>>> At the time of import the data imported fitted the licence.
>>> Perhaps you had better look back at the archives for March 08 and see the
>>> discussion over the LINZ import.
>>
>> Are you suggesting that one contributor should have power over many,
>> just because they contributed more data? Because that seems what you are
>> saying by using the import as an argument against the CT and the ODbL
>> relicensing.
>
> No, I am not saying that, and I can't see where you got that impression.
> I am looking back at evidence for an import being discussed on this list,
> advice offered, and it was thought that the new licence would make it easier.
> Now that the evidence is that the new licence will not make it easier and the
> contributor terms will make it impossible, why are some people complaining
> about imports getting in the road of the new licence?

To clarify: I complain about imports generally, because in my experience
they harm the community, not just because of the relicensing.

I'm very much in favor of manual mapping, because that creates some sort
of connectedness of the mapper with "their" map.

The only solution I see with (now?) incompatible imports is to try and
renegotiate with the donors, preferably to have the data released into
the Public Domain, like *the* import we did was from the start (TIGER).

Besides, as others have already pointed out, we remove data that doesn't
fit our license all the time, where should we draw the line? how much
mapper effort may be wasted in order to have somewhat of a legally sound
status for the future of the project as a whole?

Is it even valid to risk the future status of the work of hundreds of
thousands of contributors for the work of some 1000 users, which are,
after all, less than half a percent of our userbase? It's a hard
question, and I'm not sure I can answer it.

All I can say is what I would like to see, and that would be a free and
open map data collection of the world. Preferably PD, but SA-ish is also
acceptable (again: for me).

--
Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.