On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Robert Kaiser <ka...@kairo.at> wrote:
> Anthony schrieb:
>> Copyright assignment could never work on a project with 100,000
>> contributors.
>
> So you say the GNU project should not work? Or the OpenOffice.org project?

No, I'm saying they don't have 100,000 contributors (with the obvious
context that I'm talking about contributors of "significant
contributions").

>> CC-BY-SA 2.0 does have an "and later" clause.
>
> Where "later", i.e. 3.0 explicitely does not apply to databases like OSM.

Where does CC-BY-SA 3.0 say that it does not apply to "databases like
OSM"?  3.0 explicitly does not apply to non-copyrightable collections
of data.  On the other hand, it explicitly does apply to maps.

>> And ODbL is not in the "same spirit" as CC-BY-SA, any more than LGPL
>> is in the "same spirit" as GFDL.
>
> That's your opinion, and anyone with legal knowledge in here seems to
> dispute both of those statements.

You must be misreading them.  ODbL is weak copyleft, plus a database
rights license, plus a contract agreement.  CC-BY-SA is strong
copyleft.  Do you dispute that, or do you claim that these two are in
the same spirit?

If CC-BY-SA is the same spirit as ODbL, there wouldn't be any reason to switch.

> But of course, you can't use a
> documentation license for creative works, a code license for documentation
> or a creative license for a mostly factual database - at least not
> reasonably. And that's what all our relicensing is about in the end.

So my analogy was correct.  You agree ODbL is not in the same spirit
as CC-BY-SA, just like LGPL is not in the same spirit as GFDL.

You just think the spirit of ODbL is better for OSM than the spirit of CC-BY-SA.

As I've said before, if ODbL *were* in the same spirit as
CC-BY-SA...if it were strong copyleft as opposed to weak copyleft...if
it allowed distribution of images without distribution of source...
If ODbL were CC-BY-SA for databases, I'd be in favor of it.  It isn't.