On 2 September 2010 03:25, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Francis Davey <fjm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "maps" are expressly treated as "artistic works" by s.4(2)(a) of the
>> Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (to give a UK perspective).
>
> Pretty much the same thing in the US.  "pictorial, graphic, and
> sculptural works" are included as examples of copyrightable works, and
> "maps" are included under "pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works".
>
>> Whether some or all of the OSM is a "map" is another question - which
>> I guess is the one you are asking.
>
> Well, not really.  First of all, I'd say Mapnik tiles are clearly part
> of OSM, and I don't think there's any dispute that Mapnik tiles are
> maps.  But furthermore, when it comes to the OSM database itself, I
> agree with Assistant County Attorney Lori Peterson Dando that "a GIS
> database [is] essentially a computerized map" and "may be entitled to
> protection under copyright law, not only as a compilation, but as a
> 'pictorial' or 'graphic' work as well" (see Open Records Law, GIS, and
> Copyright Protection:  Life after Feist,
> https://www.urisa.org/files/Dandovol4no1-4.pdf).
>
>> I just wanted to make the point that "images" isn't a category much used in
>> copyright
>> definitions
>
> Well, in this case we were talking about the definition as used in CC-BY-SA
> 3.0.
>
> I'd certainly argue that "maps", as used in that license, include GIS
> databases like the OSM database, and I'd use Ms. Peterson Dando's
> comment that a GIS database is "essentially a computerized map" as
> evidence.

I'd argue that in a big part this may be a result of the changed
meaning of the word map and not the "intent" of that law.  Some
decades ago it was very difficult to create a map that didn't include
a great deal of interpretation of facts and creativity, or at least
expertise, but today it's possible to extract just the factual part
and store in a database with just a little bit of interpretation which
can be accounted to errors or artifacts of digitisation, all this
without knowing more than using a gps.

I wonder how much you can abuse this to get protection of copyright,
for example by building something of which your database is a map and
then claiming copyright.

Cheers