Hi,

Anthony wrote:
Ah, if you meant "Covered Database" you shouldn't have said "database"
:).  Produced Work and Covered Database are mutually exclusive.
Produced Work and database are not.

The ODbL itself does not draw a clear line between Covered Database and Produced Work. A common definition of the term "database" as given e.g. in the EU database directive would apply even to a PNG fie, whereas we clearly do not want a map tile to be considered a database. Then again a PNG that simply contains a coded version of the full database would certainly be a database as far as we're concerned.

This is something that we the project have to define, and the current suggestion of LWG is

"If it was intended for the extraction of the original data, then it is a database and not a Produced Work. Otherwise it is a Produced Work."

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Produced_Work_-_Guideline.