Andrew, Manuel -

On 12/06/2010 10:28 AM, Andrew Harvey wrote:
I feel that it is not safe at this point. I have raised my concerns in
this thread
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2010-December/005299.html

The situation is sufficient for me to use Bing imagery for tracing. I'm not looking at the legal side of it, I'm just looking at the size of the PR disaster should Microsoft attempt to backtrack in any way.

PR is more important than legal. As most people on this list know, with CC-BY-SA being next to invalid for Geodata in the US, any of the big US players could long have taken our data an run. Why haven't they? Because they fear a PR disaster.

But luckily this is something that everyone can decide for themselves - if you're happy with the situation, start tracing; if you're not, then don't. There's enough mapping to be done without reliance to Bing images.