To: <legal-talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 2:57 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] New phrase in section 2

Simon Poole wrote:
Asking a mapper community with a majority of non-lawyer, non-native English speakers to determine if two licenses are compatible (one of which will always be quite complex) with some degree of certainty is just a joke.

Not at all. Most imports will fall under one of a small number of licences.
It isn't beyond the skills of the community (and the professional hired help
that OSMF is able to arrange) to say whether these few licences are
compatible with ODbL+CT; and to publish this information for the benefit of
future mappers.

In addition, some licences (such as the new UK Open Government Licence)
openly avow compatibility with ODC's attribution licences (ODC-By and ODbL).

Richard