On 2010-12-08 18:36, Francis Davey wrote:
There's a lot of complex law here, but my best guess is that the sui
generis right is first owned by the contributors collectively, so that
their permission is required for its use. There are problems with that
view, but other views are more problematic. As you know database right
law is still in its infancy, so its hard to be sure.

I think you're a lawyer, right? Because I'm not :-).
My interpretation (and what I've read in some books) is that in databases where there are many contributors only the one with the greatest/most important "investment" has the database right (I've once read about an comparison with film work where only the directors has the copyright). And that should be the creator/administrator of the database.

But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Bye, Andreas