Hi,

pec...@gmail.com wrote:
Don't want to argue but it is what confuses me - from one side, you
accept that data is published under ODbL which is attribution/share
alike, but you can't request to keep this clauses in the future. If
that's a story, then it is not fully explained to community.

ODbL has lots of properties - it is a contract, a license, it is share-alike (according to some definitions!), it is free and open, it is maintained by an institution in England, it is based (in part) on database right, it does not cover patents...

If a future license change should be deemed necessary by 2/3 of the active mappers according to CT, they will choose a suitable replacement. The CT says that the "free and open" property must be kept. The others need not be kept.

It makes sense for the CT to list the required properties of the potential new license, instead of listing those that ODbL has but which are not required of the new license, or else the CT would become too long.

If you think that some people do not fully understand section three of the contributor terms - namely that *any* free and open license can be choosen by 2/3 of the active mappers - then maybe the contributor terms need in fact be made more explicit. I would however not recommend to put something in there that says:

"For the avoidance of doubt, such license does not necessarily have to have what, at the time of writing this agreement, is known as an 'attribution' or 'share alike' clause"

because that would unnecessarily upset people; they would think there's a secret plan to go PD at the next possible opportunity, when in fact the non-requirement of share-alike is more something that gives us greater flexibility for the future. Personally I'd expect any future license to be something similar to ODbL which is share alike at the core, but makes some exceptions where things are deemed unimportant. Any such license would probably not pass a strict "... must have a share alike clause ..." unless one was being cheeky and saying that "having a share-alike clause" is already fulfilled by a license that has a clause regulating the effect of share-alike.

You see, even speculating about potential wording gets us into a mire of definitions. And that's all from our (today's) point of view. 10 years ago, I believe, the term "share-alike" wasn't even used; people said "copyleft" back then. Who knows what we will be talking about in 2020?

Well, there is a problem - I create map for *today*. Now, we need a
good, solid map. OSM is way to do it. Yes, there are sources which are
PD and free and you can do whatever you want with it. But there are
also very valuable sources which comes with restrictions. For time
these restrictions matched our current license. Now we have to abandon
and clean out these sources because license of OSM might change in the
future.

Many of these sources will also change their licenses over time. It is a very interesting topic, maybe for another time, what happens if you import data from a share-alike source today but in 5 years the data source goes PD. Will the data you have imported now have to be deleted and re-imported to take advantage of the greater flexibility, or can it just be "switched"?