I guess your argument hinges on whether uploading data to the OSM
servers is a form of "publishing" in terms of copyright.

If you create a work and never publish it (in other words, nobody else
will see it), then it is not yet copyrighted. Even works for hire are
not copyrighted until the hiring entity publishes it.

Again, IANAL, but submitting data to the OSM server where it is
*immediately* published via the OSM API and *immediately* made
available to the public licensed as CC-BY-SA, doesn't put the
contributor in breach of the CC license. Since the publishing doesn't
occur until the data is made available via the OSM API (and the OSM
Planet), then I believe there is no problem.

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com