jynus wrote:
> Dual licensing has a really big problem for the project:
> 1) We release the data under CC OR ODbL
> 2) A third party uses data under only one of the licenses
> 3) Even if they are both "ShareAlike", the transformations made by
> third party cannot be returned to OSM, as they are incompatible with
> unused license

That's true, of course, but the problem is not unique to dual licensing.

With CT + ODbL:
1) We receive data according to CT and release the data under ODbL
2) A third party uses data under ODbL, but does not agree to CT
3) Even if the data is ODbL, the transformations made by the third party
cannot be returned to OSM without giving up one of the primary
advantages of the CT, the ability to relicense without contributor veto.

CT + CC-BY-SA isn't different in that regard. Generally, we have to
accept that we can only take modifications back into to OSM if either

* a third party cooperates voluntarily (= dual-licenses/agrees to CT) or
* we accept to be limited to /one/ license for that data.

The latter is relevant no matter whether we actually use different
licenses at the same time, or just want to have the option to switch to
a different license in the future without deleting data.

-- Tobias Knerr