On 11 July 2011 10:55, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is my understanding that Bing essentially said to OSM "yes you can
> upload to OSM".
>
> We as a community can't verify this.
> http://www.microsoft.com/maps/product/terms.html mentions nothing, all
> we have is http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Bing_license.pdf
> which we can't verify as authentic.

The official Bing blog:
http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2010/12/01/bing-maps-aerial-imagery-in-openstreetmap.aspx
published by Brian Hendricks - Bing Maps Product Manager

> But even if it is and can be proved to be authentic, unless Microsoft
> also state that OSM has permission to license traced data it out to
> others as CC-BY-SA, simply saying yes you can trace and upload to OSM
> isn't enough in my opinion. As this would be a license specific to
> OSM, and wouldn't allow others who use OSM data to use the bing data.

The traced data is a new work and therefore untainted by the Bing
license. (NearMap doesn't see using aerial imagery this way.)
The license is also a specific terms of use grant to OSM with the
condition the derived data is uploaded to OSM.

Regards
 Grant