Well we do seem to have cases with a PD statement, were the data is in fact
(potentially) encumbered and the mapper probably actually wanted to apply the statement only to the data which he originally created and his edits. See TimSCs
wiki page for a mapper (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:TimSC) that
realized that and tries to fix it.

And now the OSMF is supposed to second guess what all the mappers with
similar statements really intended to say?

Simon

Am 26.08.2011 01:23, schrieb Ian Sergeant:

Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote on 25/08/2011 05:53:04 PM:

> Having an agreement with the mapper along the lines of the CTs is
> clearly safe(*), a statement on his wiki page, who knows?

I'd come down on the other side of this line. It would be easier to argue that some long click-through agreement was unread or misunderstood. An explicit statement that you have included on your wiki page that your edits are unencumbered, in the public domain and freely available for any use is pretty convincing to me.

I'm still using some public domain sources to assist in contributing to OSM. I don't think anything I have agreed to in the CT prevents me from using other's PD contributions incorporated with mine, and I'm currently quite comfortable in that position.

Ian.