I asked two attorneys in the USA to look into the question of whether the OSM
map data falls under copyright.  Please see earlier messages in this thread for
details of how the lawyers were chosen and the question asked.

They produced a written report which they asked me not to distribute publicly
because of attorney-client privilege.  I have sent a copy of that report to the
LWG and the OSM board, and I am happy to share a copy with anyone who'd like to
see it, but I think it is necessary to have some results which can be fully
public.  To this end the lawyers have produced a public version which does not
mention OSM by name, although the issues addressed are those relevant to our
project.

You can see the report at

<http://membled.com/work/osm/Map_Project_Memo_public_FINAL.pdf>

--