Sorry,

I think I choose first wrong email list.

Pekka

---- Pekka Sarkola - pekka.sark...@gispo.fi - www.gispo.fi ----

From: Pekka Sarkola [mailto:pe...@gispo.fi]
Sent: 10. toukokuuta 2012 13:15
To: 'legal-gene...@openstreetmap.org'
Subject: NLSF & OSM license check / comments needed

Dear Friends,

This legal-lists seem to be quite quiet. So, maybe you all have plenty of
time to discuss about National Land Survey of Finland (NLSF) license vs. OSM
licenses.

As you may know, NLSF has released all their topographic information for
free use. Their license is open, more open than OSM (CC-BY-SA or ODbL). I
think. You can read NLSF's license terms:
http://www.maanmittauslaitos.fi/en/NLS_open_data_licence_version1_20120501

It seems that quite OSMers in Finland like to benefit NLSF data sets. We
have good discussion going on about imports,  background map/imagery usage
etc. Mainly discussions will be in Finnish on IRC, forums and mailing lists.

Now we have also some legal questions and I'd like to hear your comments:

.         Is NLSF Open Data license compatible with OSM current and new
license?

.         If we import NLSF data, we need to add link to their license into
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright/en. Right?

.         Contributors: we need to add NLSF to this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution. Is there any "format" what
they should answer? Should this demand come from OSMF or can I do it?

.         NLSF terms of use, section 2.2 last bullet:
.remove the name of the Licensor from the product or service, if required to
do so by the Licensor..
Some people think that this is barrier and OSM license won't accept this.
Personally I don't see any problems with this. If we import NLSF data to OSM
(and we have mentions in wiki about their copyright etc.) and in the future
NLSF demands to remove their name, we can remove it from wiki pages. We
don't include NLSF name in every single copy (digital and/or analog) and we
don't clear NLSF names from OSM copies.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the list or
directly. I also promise to act as contact person between OSM and NLSF,
there is already some confusion and I will make separate email about that.

Rgs,

Pekka

--

Pekka Sarkola