Hi,

On 09.04.2013 17:37, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
The cards are
copy-protected (encrypted, I believe).  Their question is whether
OpenStreetMap data can be distributed encrypted on those cards
together with their own data.  The company can publish, e.g. on their
website, whatever files are necessary but they can't publish the
conversion process or their own data unencrypted.

The ODbL has a provision for "parallel distribution" in 4.7b:

"You may impose terms or technological measures on the Database ... in contravention of Section 4.74 a. only if You also make a copy of the Database or a Derivative Database available to the recipient of the Restricted Database ..."

So I guess they are fine; the recipient of the card (the Derivative Database) must have access to the data; it doesn't say how this access should work, i.e. the recipient has no right to an unencumbered database that is playable on his specific device.

Or has he? 4.7b iii says that the unrestricted database must be

"at least as accessible to the recipient as a practical matter as the Restricted Database."

- so if the recipient *only* has this special hardware device that can *only* play the encrypted cards, would a "here's the pbf download" link not be less accessible for him...?