Luis,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments, I hope you don't mind that I've referenced the mail link on the page for resource reading!

On 30/04/2014 00:10, Luis Villa wrote:
I think it is pretty clear that this rule is only for OSM/ODBL, but it wouldn't hurt to make that more explicit. (It *has* to be only about OSM, because you can't judge whether something is substantial without knowing about the nature of the database (quantitative) and how the data was obtained (qualitative).)
Good point and done on the general Community Guideline page.

Few other comments:

  * It might be helpful to link to
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features when talking about
    Features, assuming those are the same concept, which I admit I'm
    still not 100% sure about?
  * It might be helpful to explain better why the page is focused on
    insubstantial rather than substantial.
  * The village/town distinction doesn't seem very helpful to me. If
    the goal really is to push out commercial projects, very few
    commercial projects are going to be viable at the town level - the
    vast majority will be national level, with a few exceptions for
    London/Paris/NY-level cities. So saying "you can use towns" would
    still block out most commercial use while perhaps allowing some
    small governments to do useful things. But I may be
    misunderstanding the goal here?
  * I find "This definition aims to:...Build a case for the
    "qualitative" interpretation of Substantial" to be slightly
    confusing - I /think/ that what is meant is something like "This
    guideline attempts to clarify what uses would constitute a
    substantial qualitative use of OSM data" (perhaps implying that
    many important uses are not going to be quantitatively
    substantial?), but I'm really not sure. I would clarify or remove
    that.

I've done some rewording to the summary which I hope addresses these. I've not added a link to the map features page, they are not (really) the same concept. A "Feature" is how an ordinary map viewing individual would see things: a single road (even if broken into different segments for speed limits), a lake, a pub (even if tagged with multitudinous detail on the beer and ATM machines). A general note to all: these guidelines are directed at folks who are not familiar with OSM, so need to worded accordingly using simple, hopeful translatable, wording and sentences.

 *

Hope this is helpful-

Indeed!

Mike