On 21 May 2014 15:08, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> I like the message but I am not sure if it really works, license-wise.
>
> Suppose I have my own data set with restaurant POIs, A.
>
> Now I take an OSM database with restaurant POIs, B.
>
> Now I compute the difference, B-A - "all restaurants that are in OSM but
> not in my own data set".
>
> This database, B-A, is clearly derived and needs to be shared. However
> it does not contain anything that is not already in OSM so sharing it
> would be of little use to anyone.
>
> Now I build a restaurant finder web site that polls both databases, the
> "A" and the "B-A" database.
>
> And you say: Because of this I now need to share A.
>
> But I don't see how this can ever be possible. At what point has A,
> which has not been modified the slightest in the whole process, been
> "tainted" with ODbL? The only thing that has any descendance from OSM is
> the B-A database.

One possible argument (and I'm not sure whether it's correct or not)
would be that while initially A and B are independent elements of a
collective database, in order to run the query that works out B-A,
then A and B (or at least the information required to run the query)
are no longer independent. Therefore you've implicitly created a
derivative database of (at least parts of) A and B, in order to run
the query. If that's the case then either the (parts of) A+B
derivative database must be shared under ODbL, or the parts of A used
in the query and the details of the query must be made available.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker