Hi,

On 07.01.2015 16:30, Henning Hollburg wrote:
http://stevecoast.com/2014/05/19/why-openstreetmap-is-now-navigation-ready-for-people-like-you/

Doesn't this mean that this data has to be published according to the
ODbL? If not, why?

As having all those databases being released might be good for the people wanting the data, it brings no benefit to OSM.

The purpose of ODbL is to keep data open. That's great.

My opinion is:
For OSM the thing most contributors favoring a share alike license model really want is a a clause which forces data consumers to grant a license to OSMF to incorporate modified/exended data back into OSM database.

ODbL does not contain such a "merge" clause. We could start merging 3rd party ODbL into OSM. But then have a hard time to fulfill attribution requirements. And an even harder time to get rid of the data in case of another license change in the future.

We need all contributors to agree to the contributor terms, granting a license to the OSMF to re-distribute the data.

Maybe we can change the license one more time to an OSM-ODbL. Not only requiring to release data as ODbL but also granting OSMF the same rights as in contributor terms.

Stephan