I'm bringing up a conversation from talk-au pertaining to what
additional permissions we need from content owners in order to include
or use as a source to derive further information from their CC-BY
licensed data in OSM.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

On 16 April 2015 at 15:26, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/2015 6:01 AM, Ross wrote:
>> The issue is not with the licence.  The current terms and conditions require
>> permission to add data not owned by the contributor.
>
> This is incorrect. An appropriate license is sufficient. Some obviously
> appropriate licenses are CC0, PDDL, ODC-BY and the ODbL itself.
>
> The issue is that CC BY (and BY-SA) 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 require a form of
> attribution that is not practical for most map uses, so we need permission.
> This would have been true even without the license change, as we were never
> meeting the requirements of those versions of CC BY.
>
> We have permission for many Australian sources, and I believe for all CC BY
> Australian sources that were in use at the time of the license change.

My question was does CC-BY 4.0 have the same issue? Could CC-BY 4.0
data be included in OSM.

Secondly, what specific permission do we need to include CC-BY 3.0 or
4.0 data in OSM? Do we essentially need the data supplier to agree to
CC0 plus attribution in some specific form requested by OSMF? Is there
a sample legal agreement or text for this?

The release of government spatial data in Australia is continuing to
expand to more and more agencies who are releasing under CC-BY, and it
would be great if we had an OSMF approved license agreement or such we
can present to these agencies so that hopefully these CC-BY datasets
can be potentially used in some form in OSM.