The problem is that they have specified a license with attribution that is
unreasonable for geodata (CC BY 3.0 and earlier).

Neither OpenStreetMap.org or most data consumers (e.g. MapBox) would meet the
CC BY 3.0 and earlier attribution requirements.

There are a few options for permission. The easiest might be to get them to
grant permission to everyone under the CC0 license. This would meet the needs
of us, as well as anyone else who would want to use their data

Another option is to educate them about data licenses. I'd only go this route
if you can't get the data under CC0. They've talked about concern about their
data being used under less-free license. Leaving aside what less-free means, a
feature of attribution only licenses like CC BY is that you are allowed to do
this.