> He’s clearly not suggesting that.
>
> He’s suggesting that if you want to put geocodes in OSM that you go do
that, and create a community around it, rather than this method of “change
the license or we won’t do anything” which Fred feels is hijacking.

If I misunderstood, I apologize. Frederik's email discussed the burden of
maintaining address data, the relative lack of interest in addresses within
the OSM community, and the implicit obligation to contribute labor to the
data's maintenance; and it didn't mention licensing at all. That's why I
read it the way I did. But perhaps it will be best to let him clarify his
own words.

In that same spirit of clarification: at no point in this thread have I
asked for a change to the license. I've been arguing for a clarification of
how the existing license applies to geocoding use cases -- an issue
parallel but related to the guidance Simon introduced. If I'm not mistaken,
the LWG and larger community have acknowledged this to be an open issue for
some time.