On 18 January 2016 at 10:53, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following a thread on the OSMF-talk list, I am kindly asking you to review
> and improve a new wiki page that tries to give an overview about the
> compatibility of common licenses with the ODbL and CT:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/ODbL_Compatibility

This is great to see, and will hopefully become a very useful resource.

Some comments / suggestions:

* In the notes column, it might be better to say "rights holder(s)"
rather than "licensor" since the former is presumably the only
person/body who is able to give such permission.

* For the CC-By notes, I think those giving the permission also need
to be aware that they are (or would need to be) also authorising
downstream use of their data, without necessarily getting any direct
attribution from those downstream uses. I'd suggest adding "including
to cover downstream use in works derived from OSM" to the end of the
note.

* It's not clear from the page whether or not the lack of green in the
"contributor terms" column precludes the use of ODbL data or not.
Presumably not, but more consideration should be taken before using
such data, and with documenting them and attributing it in OSM. If
this is correct, then something to this effect should be added in an
explanatory paragraph.

* It would be good to add the UK's Open Government Licence (OGL) and
Non-Commercial Government Licence (NCGL) to the list. The first should
be the same as the ODbL (as it explicitly states the ODbLs terms are
sufficient to fulfil the obligations under the licence) while the
second is incompatible due to the NC terms.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker