On Monday 25 July 2016, Stefan Jäger wrote:

> "Viral aspects" like Martin puts it, sound a bit like a disease :-)

The connotation of the term 'viral' has changed quite a bit.  Viral
marketing for example has - at least for those initiating it - a quite
positive appeal.

> However, If  I  understand Ilya correctly, the Odbl only applies to
> data that is made publicly available. That, in turn, means, any data
> put together using also OSM data, that is not publicly accessible,
> but only  in internal networks, can be produced?

The ODbL applies to all OSM data everywhere - however the share-alike
requirements of the ODbL only apply if the data is publicly 'conveyed'.
Keep in mind though that this includes any produced works (like map
renderings or other illustrations created using the data) - if a
derivative database is used in producing such illustrations this
database is subject to the share-alike requirements.

And note if you (as indicated in your initial inquiry) intend to license
this derivative database or a produced work to a third party that is
already a public process under the ODbL.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/