From: Simon Poole [mailto:si...@poole.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:53 AM
To: legal-talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Series of maps for Angola

Marcus

I'm not quite sure if there is a real issue. If you derive the boundaries you
use from OSM, yes it is unlikely that it is non-substantial if you are using
them for a whole country and the result is likely subject to share alike.

However that only requires you to make the your modified data available on ODbL
terms,it does not require that you have to use whatever changes somebody else
makes to that dataset. Any third party sources you use for improving the
boundaries would however have to be compatible with the ODbL 1.0.

So it is quite possible for you to retain a "master copy" of whatever you think
the language boundaries are. Naturally if you have improvements to the admin
boundaries and your source is ODbL compatible (which it should be, see above)
it might make sense to include such improvements directly into OSM.

As has been already been suggested the alternative is to not use OSM boundaries
at all and a third party source (which I doubt exists as open data globally).

Simon