Here, right at this outset, I have two things to say:

First, it's obviously critical that the killer or killers involved in these
hideous situations be swiftly apprehended before anyone else is murdered.
And secondly, we have no intention of removing any material from
our Hunterbear website relating to any of these matters.

The funeral of Russell Turcotte has been held today, November 18, at Wolf
Point, Montana. He, of course, is the 19 year old Turtle Mountain
Chippewa youth missing at Grand Forks since July 12, 2002 and found
murdered just off Highway 2 near Devils Lake, North Dakota, in early
November.

There have been no arrests yet in this case.  Nor have there been any
arrests yet in the murders of the other three Turtle Mountain men -- Jerome
DeCoteau, and Robert and Damian Belgarde -- murdered at Grand Forks in
September 2001:  fourteen months ago.

For close to four months after Russell's disappearance, Grand Forks law
enforcement authorities took the position that it was a case belonging to
Wolf Point -- Russell's Montana home -- even though he'd last been sighted
in Grand Forks. No systematic search was conducted by North Dakota
lawmen -- and, when Russell's body was finally found 90 miles or so
west of the Forks -- close to Highway 2 -- it was by a man searching
for cattle that had escaped from his truck.

A couple of days after the murdered body was found, I received a very
strange communication purporting to come from the State's Attorney at Devils
Lake, in Ramsey County, North Dakota.  I post it here, with the
qualification that [1] it obviously isn't on any official letterhead; [2] is
apparently sent from the office of the county sheriff -- Steve Hamre --
something we learned only later through our own deductive efforts; [3]
makes little logical sense.  Consequently, we see it as a  very mysterious
letter -- and, from that perspective, I immediately sent it on to the
Bismarck offices of Governor John Hoeven and State Attorney General
Wayne Stenehjem, accompanied by a letter of my own to them.

The following is the strange letter from Devils Lake, along with my letter
to the North Dakota state officials -- and finally my wrap-up comments for
the present.

And let's hope a far more zealous and immediate search for the killer or
killers is being conducted by North Dakota officials than the apparently
leisurely approach laid out in this extraordinarily strange communication: