>According to these sources, in the fist year of joint production, about
>4,500 workers will be employed at salaries of approximately 800
>Deutschmarks, to produce the Peugeot 206.

Gee whiz, I wonder why they have decided to start making the 206 in
Yugoslavia.

===

Sunday Business, December 12, 1999

Call for strike at Peugeot

By Jon Menon

Peugot bosses and unions at the carmaker's factory near Coventry will hold
talks on Tuesday in an effort to settle a dispute over working hours, which
threatens production of the French company's successful 206 model.

The 4,400 employees at the Ryton plant and a nearby parts factory
represented by the Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union and the
Transport and General Workers' Union are seeking a 35- hour working week in
line with their French counterparts, following legislation which cuts hours
in France from 1 January 2000.

The unions claim the normal 39-hour week worked at the plant is longer than
the pattern at other UK carmaking factories including the Rover, Jaguar and
Ford operations.

Duncan Simpson, national officer for the AEEU, said: "We have bitten the
bullet for a number of years to raise productivity. It is unacceptable. We
will try to reach an agreement but industrial action has not been ruled
out."Peugeot claims the factory has the highest running costs in its group.
The company claims its schedules will push up productivity levels at the
Ryton plant.

Louis Proyect
The Marxism mailing-list: http://www.marxmail.org