Taking their name from the arch enemy of the British Symbol of the Cold
War, the hero "Dan Dare"; their name probably tells us enough about
them.Though
perhaps not! - The Mekons are one of the most unique, complex, overlooked,
underestimated collectives from the classic era which people define as
punk/new wave.

For three decades now the Mekons as a collaborative group have created art,
music
and writings under one moniker.Coming out of the same leftish circles as The
Gang of
Four and Delta 5 from Leeds, perhaps through coincidence or was it because of
the
fact all the groups attended the Leeds universities fine art department at
around the
same time.T.J. Clarke a lecturer there at the time was a member of the
Situationists
International, one of the few British members of this organisation; was it
his influence in his art teachings. [Hmm ... Could it have anything to do
with the fact that half the Gang of Four and 3 regular participants in the
early Mekons including Tom had earlier spent a lot of time in the art
department of the same mid-ranking public school in Kent, headed by the
father of one of them? Some of the younger teachers in the school had clearly
been influenced by the ferment of the Sixties, and there were interesting
discussions in class about the Prague Spring, the Vietnam War etc etc.There
was also a wider scene, with many drawing together around the Rock Against
Racism banner and therefore to some extent influenced by the IS/SWP. However
another Marxist tradition was represented in the broadly 'radical' bands
which came out of this period in Leeds - Scritti Politti, apparently
reflecting the interest in Gramsci then found amongst Eurocommunists!
Webmaster]

The formation of the Mekons was inspired after seeing the Sex Pistols perform
at Leeds Polytechnic in 1976. They would take the route a lot of art students
did in this golden era of using music as an extension of art away from its
increasing turgid, toothless form. The rules of music had changed; artists
were formed out of audiences anyone could "get up and have a go".

The Mekons would follow this route, as with the punk attitude of being a
working class movement, anti-
fascist and with a radical criticism of society, royalty and at the start
keeping at arms length from the rock industry it wanted to destroy. It was
also one of the movements to push women to the front of music. Examples of
this can be seen through countless material produced by the Mekons. The first
single, produced on the indie label Fast Product called Never Been in a Riot
symbolises a riot where neo-nazis attacked their radical gay club. The b-side
to this 32 Weeks was a left handed screech about the number of weeks it take
to save up for an everyday object like a refrigerator. After their second
classic single 'Where are you?'  they signed and made a compromised album on
the Virgin label.

More excellent material was produced in 1979 Work all Week again a song
describing the reality of working class life and in 1980 Teeth. But with the
movement running out of steam a lot of bands unfortunately became mainstream
and a shadow of their former selves. The movement that didn't want to become
fashionable had become part of fashionable pop music. The Mekons did not,
and in 1980 signed to the indie label Red Rino and to this day have recorded
some fine
material on various labels. The latest being Mekons United
(Quarterstick/Touch and
Go album) 1996 (23-track CD with a history book of the Mekons) available from
Ellipsis London Ltd, 2 Rufus Street London N1 6PE, and ME; 14 track CD album
(Quarterstick QS53CD) So I'll leave you with a quote from the 1980 single
Teeth:

"We sit in pubs, and talk of times,
"Of groups we knew, and all the signs,
"Of war and money, oppression and more"

Interview with Tom Greenhalgh of the Mekons

"The Mekons"  formed while studying at the fine art department at Leeds
University. Could
you describe some of the highs and lows of this period?
The highs: The feeling that suddenly anything was possible... anyone could
form a band [or whatever] there and then, it was like 'year zero' also a
strong sense of collaboration and community,
pooling resources and ideas.The lows: The attempts by the BNP/National Front
muscle in on the scene - arguments and problems with local promoters etc not
being
prepared to do anything about it.
"The Mekons" have been described as the original D.I.Y. band which typified
the music from the punk/new wave era. Could you comment on the way, where and
why they adopted this approach?
It seemed that the do-it-yourself, think-for-yourself thing was the loud and
clear 'message' of punk, if
there was any 'message' at all. Things happened the way they did because it
seemed the
obvious way to go about it.
Were the "Mekons" influenced by the head of Leeds University fine art
department teacher T.J. Clarke  who was one of the few British members of the
Situationists International? If so how?
The Leeds art school scene in the late 70's was a weird blip of highly
radicalised activity with a lot of marxist and feminist teachers who
certainly upset the institutions they worked in as well as some of
the students. It's hard to imagine this happening nowadays.For me personally
at the time I wasn't bothered and took it for granted and only a lot later
began to read T.J Clarke for myself. I think we were influenced a lot by
Terry Atkinson who had been involved with  Art & Language, who was also at
Leeds, who dealt with issues of cultural practice and the implications of
trying to operate within capitalist modes of production and
distribution.[this is quite a big subject... just to say... my final show was
all pictures of T.J.Clarke as the paradigm of the radical academic... but I
have a great deal of respect for the man and his work... its interesting that
since he fled the UK and gone to Berekeley he has become good mates with
Greil Marcus...]
For those that don't know, where did the name for "The Mekons" come from?
In the old fashioned comic 'The Eagle' there was a strip called 'Dan Dare -
Space Pilot of the Future' created by Frank Hampson. Dan Dare's arch enemy
was the Mekon who was an evil alien with a
big green head and a  little body who flew around the universe on a tiny
flying saucer...
With the quality of material produced by "The Mekons"; why did they never
have a big hit? Would "The Mekons" have wanted a big hit?
Basically we never knew what we were doing we always managed ourselves and
never really had the resources or distribution required for a big hit...On
one level I suppose it might have been nice to
be on top of the pops but then all you're ever known for is that one hit
unless you're fantastic like ABBA. We ended up doing whatever we wanted and
paradoxically perhaps not being commercially successful meant we had more
freedom to do what we wanted.
Punk/new wave bands were being snapped up by big labels as you were
yourselves. Was it because the scene was "trendy" at the time or do you think
some
labels were actually interested in the music? Were bands encouraged to
change/compromise their art and politics?
It was the traditional 'tin pan alley' approach of throw it at the wall and
see what sticks - you can be absolutely certain that no major label [in our
case Virgin] gives a toss about music.Unfortunately bands have a tendency for
self-censorship if there's a whiff of cash about... can you blame them?
well... yes and no.
Lu Edmonds (ex P.I.L., The Damned) was a member of "The Mekons". There have
been various other Mekons, and so called deputy Mekons. What is the
relationship between band members in the past and now?
Because as I already said we ended up ploughing our own furrow... there was
never any money about to pay people properly so naturally they sometimes had
to do other things so occasionally
someone else would have to be drafted in... usually they end up staying in
the
band. Also as you know we're pretty spread out so not everyone can be in the
same
place at the same time so it's good to have a 'pool' of people to draw on. We
are all
good friends.
I regard "Where were you" as one of the classics from the punk/new wave era;
what song do you regard as a classic from that time and why?
'Anarchy in the UK' because ignoring the way things can become clichés over
time it was absolutely
amazing at the time that this was in the charts.
How important do you think art is to "The Mekons" and what is the view of art
described by "The Mekons"?
I don't think ART is important... For the mekons mixing things up is part of
trying to break down
boundaries and categories that come up as when things are commodified in this
society
art is a speculative commodity.
What was the Leeds scene like in the late 70's/early 80's, what was life like
for yourselves?
It seemed a good scene with a big mix of different people: art students, gay
& lesbians, lefties of every stripe, druggies, nutters and weirdos it was a
laugh.
"The Mekons" were involved in the Miners Strike during the mid 80's, what was
your reaction and "The Mekons" reaction to the Strikes?
Just before that time the original band had semi split up and the few  who
were left had
deliberately decide to stop playing live and concentrate on studio
experimentation
then. We were approached to play benefits because we'd done a lot of Rock
Against
Racism stuff so we got a live band together [with Steve Goulding and Lu
Edmonds
joining on drums and bass] and played as much as possible.I got involved with
the
local miners support group in Lambeth putting on benefits as well and all the
other
things to support the strike it was a crucial turning point in British
politics and life in
general that leads staight to Blair - if the strike had won things would now
be very
different.
The art and songs of "The Mekons" over the years have criticised society,
what do you think of modern society? How would you like to see this society?
How
do you think it could change for the better?
These are very big questions any 'sound bites' I could give are kind of
obvious: society is run to benefit the few, democracy is a con, class
struggle goes on.You just have to keep on doing what you can and talking to
people around you, I don't think there are any simple answers I'm interested
in
Marxism but it's not a religion, it's an approach that should change and
develop all the
time and it doesn't really matter what you call it unless you're referring to
that specific
tradition. I'm also interested in philosophy and complexity of how things
work in
history and culture but people have to find their own way of dealing with
these things
even if its not in an obviously Political way - on one level though
everything is
political.
The word Punk means different things to different people. Do you agree with
Greil Marcus that it is another example in the history of revolutionary
movements like
the Ranters of the English Civil War, the Cabaret Voltaire, the Situationist
International? What is your idea of the punk movement?
I think its good that people like Greil Marcus put things in a wider context
that you might not be aware of - I don't really have an idea of the punk
movement as such, it's become another youth cult
cliché like Teddy Boys or Mods and Rockers, for me it was a spark of freedom
and
rebellion very specific to time and place, things have long since moved on.
What does the future hold for "The Mekons"?
Who knows? We're working on a new album called "I" due out early next year
and working on another art show called "OOOH" also for next year.

 This Mekons material belongs to Mark, except for comments by the webmaster!