Mark:

>  > Zyuganov Interview 11 September 2000
>>
>>  BBC MONITORING
>>  ZYUGANOV INTERVIEW: RUSSIAN COMMUNIST LEADER EXPANDS ON MOVE TO
>>  SUPPORT KREMLIN, DROP OLD ALLIES
>
>but if you read what the man says, is it so unreasonable?

It's a reasonable remark from a reasonable parliamentarian, no?

>  > Russia today is at a crossroads. Either we following the new state
>>  line which takes the national interest as its guide or continue with
>>  the old policy of [acting prime minister in the early nineties Yegor]
>>  Gaydar or rather [Economic Development and Trade Minister German]
>>  Gref. If the choice is in favour of the latter, of liberal reforms
>>  when the land is sold off and they try to finish off the nuclear
>>  missile shield, when the railways are sold off and the last natural
>>  monopolies are eliminated and when even our forests are sold into
>>  private hands then there will be nothing left of Russia.
>>
>>  So we shall do everything we can to ensure that people who understand
>>  how far things have gone and recognize that very little time indeed
>>  is left in which to take decisions gain the upper hand in the
>>  executive structure.
>
>What do you expect him today, lead platoons of pensioners in an assault on the
>Telegraph Office, Kremlin etc?

First of all, Russian leftists need to expand the base for support of
Communism beyond "platoons of pensioners"!  I don't think they can
expand it while accommodating themselves to Putin, though.  It seems
to me that Zyuganov ain't smart or ambitious enough to use Putin for
his social-democratic purpose.  What's happening is the other way
around, most likely.

Yoshie