SEIU unfortunately uses Alinsky organizing methods.  This goes back for some
time to Sweeney.  UFW uses then also as does ACORN.  We have been critical of
it for a long time and the racism and sexism that goes with it.  (White males
usually ran things with women and folks of color at the bottom.)  The honchos
like this method as it is less democratic.  Staff couldn't overturn it.  We
members have to take control.  We successfully got the anti-union Perry Kenny
off of the board, we got a Mumia resolution passed despite the pressure from
above, now we have to get the leaders to kick the Alinsky habit and wean
themselves from Democratic party access.