I still don’t see how this can be made in smaller steps.  The good
news is that most of the path to the next release is behind us, at
least in my estimation.

Yes, it was necessary to refactor these parts of Lensfun although it stalled the project for quite some time. In the end we got a much cleaner codebase. We got rid of a lot of dependencies and proprietary implementations of code which is now based on standard C++. So the entry threshold for new contributors hopefully is lowered considerably...

The goal should be to get a working release, possibly together with
patches against Darktable to use the new API.  It needn’t implement
all planned things.  Just working.  Then, we can take a deep breath
and move on.

I agree partly, from my perspective the most important thing missing before a release is to check if the changes of the API make sense in the context on applications. Ideally, we would get feedback from the app programmers what they need so we can avoid further tweaking the API in the next versions. The API should be stabilised as soon as possible. Maintaining compatibility throughout API changes is a nightmare in an open source libary and already is in Lensfun. And it is also a problem for the app programmers.

Help is welcome, especially senseful in the following areas:

[...]

I have added a milestone to GitHub to track what I think is still to be done: https://github.com/lensfun/lensfun/milestone/1

Feel free to add more items or edit and work on the exsiting ones!

Sebastian