Hi,

this may be totally unrelated, but in my experience the last version of
exiv2 shipped with Ubuntu Bionic is broken. I had to revert back to the
version Pascal de Bruijn

offers in his PPA.

0.25-3.1ubuntu0.18.04.2pmjdebruijn1~bionic works for me (Darktable
recognises Canon EF-M 15-45 attached to Canon EOS M3),

0.25-3.1ubuntu0.18.04.4 does not work

Ubuntu usually upgrades to the latest version automatically...

Regards,
Oliver