On Mar 6, 8:02 am, "Edward K. Ream" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As you know, there are questions about whether Leo works reliably on
> Linux with Python 2.5.  I shall be running tests on Linux soon.  In
> the meantime, Leo is probably safe on Linux.

Some preliminary results:

No xwindows crash happens when running unit tests on Leo 4.4.4 final
and Leo 4.4.5 final, with Python2.4.4 or Python2.5.1.
Lots of unit tests fail, but that's (probably) because the official
distributions that I used for the tests do not have some files the
unit tests expect.  Anyway, "normal" failures and errors do not
concern me.

I do get the xwindows crash reliably when running Leo 4.4.6 final with
Python2.4.4. Moreover, I get the crash when mod_scripting.py is the
only plugin in the plugins menu.  I removed everything else from the
plugins menu to be *sure* that unit tests can not "stealthily" enable
plugins behind the scenes.

So it seems clear that:

- This is *not* a Python 2.5 issue.
- Something drastic happened between Leo 4.4.5 final and Leo 4.4.6
final.
- The crash does not involve plugins, except possibly the scripting
plugin.  In particular, the threading colorizer plugin can not, by
itself, cause these crashes.
- If you have been using Leo on Linux without problems, you are not
likely to have more problems with Leo 4.4.8.

Happily:

- Both Leo 4.4.5 and Leo 4.4.6 are on tigris, so I can compare these
versions relatively easily.
- The x crash happens reliably and quickly--during, or maybe *just*
after, the tests of .leo files.

My first step will be to diff leoTest.py to see if the tests of .leo
files changed significantly.

Edward

P.S.  I am going to rethink the entire strategy for testing plugins.
As I was disabling various plugins, I came across several plugins that
really not be tested as part of normal unit tests.  This is a separate
issue, but it should be dealt with before the next release.

EKR