Now shoot this down if it's a nonworkable idea:

What if someone (say, me ;-) decided to "port" leo to pyqt4, but not
really port the source code - rather, implement a new GUI on top of
leoBridge?

This would not need to be a full-blown leo; just something simple that
displayed the outline in a tree widget, and the body area using a code
editor. This could be useful because:

- It will help exploration of a "full-blown" qt port
- Qt is much faster than Tk
- It would run on mobile phones (my mobilileo miniproject is read-only
view of the .leo file)
- It should be easier than a full port (judging by the fact that gtk /
wx ports have been attempted but not completed)
- Qt rocks, and these days (Qt4) it's GPL on all platforms.