On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Terry Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:53:55 -0500
> "Edward K. Ream" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > It is rare to have more than a dozen children
>
> Leo can be used for many different tasks, certainly one focus is
> writing code, and in that case you're probably right, but other
> applications like cataloging various things, or overlaying a
> filesystem, can easily end up with 2-300 children on a node.  That may
> be an indication that the underlying system is badly organized, but
> then again, perhaps you're trying to use leo to analyze / fix its
> organization.

I agree.  My comment wasn't particularly edifying.

> It's kind of amusing that back links on vnodes vanish just before a use
> for them is found :-) but not a big deal, even if there are 1000
> children on a node, making and reversing a list shouldn't be too memory
> consumptive.  Reversing's fast and positions are small.

Reversing a list of even 10,000 elements will be fast enough because it
happens at essentially C speed (the language C, not the speed of light :-)

I have found that one of Python's great advantages for me is that I don't
worry about performance until there is a for-real problem.