On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Edward K. Ream <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Terry Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:53:15 -0500
>> "Edward K. Ream" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> The path to clarity is to voluntarily limit your choices: pick *one*
>>> place (home/.leo) for your myLeoSettings.leo file, and *one* place
>>> (leo/config) for your leoSettings.leo file.
>>
>> Yes but :-) home/.leo/myLeoSettings.leo is for personal leo settings,
>> but cwd/myLeoSettings.leo can be used to customize the behavior of .leo
>> files in cwd, which is an important feature if Leo is going to be
>> highly configurable for different applications.
>
> All right.

Such enthusiasm!

:-]

> Is there anything except documentation that should change?

Personally, I'd like to see:

- determine the optimal configuration behaviour
- implement it
- provide tests for it
- document it

Maybe this is already done, however I think there are untested cases,
I spend quite a bit of time fussing with configuration surprises.

Personally, I'd like to see another config file available via -c on
the command line:
(a common idiom)

leo myproject.leo -c /usr/lib/myproject/myLeoSettings.leo

or better yet:

leo myproject.leo -c /etc/leo/style01.leo
leo myotherproject.leo -c /etc/leo/style02.leo
leo anotherproject.leo -c /etc/leo/style23.leo

Each file opens in an editor with the shortcuts, buttons, commands,
plugins, appearance etc.  that has been tuned for that data management task.

or best yet:

leo myproject.leo -c /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/leo/config/style94.leo

the Leo community contributes their brilliance to a library of settings files.

When I look at Leo I see a platform to build with, and as such,
the @settings are akin to source code, extremely important.

Thanks,
Kent